Home > Arduino, Bluetooth, TKJ Electronics, USB > USB Host Shield is now available in the webshop

USB Host Shield is now available in the webshop

This is a short announcement regarding the USB Host Shield from Circuits@Home, which we are now carrying in in our store.
By buying the official shield you will support the continous development of the library and get support from us!
The shield can be found and bought here: USB Host Shield 2.0 for Arduino.

The shield can be used with almost any kind of Arduino including the most popular Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino Leonardo etc. If you are in doubt if your Arduino is supported please don’t hesitate to write a comment below.

The USB Host Shield will allow you to use any of the Bluetooth and USB libraries I wrote.

In case you missed it I have written several libraries for the shield including:

The Serial Port Protocol (SPP)
Emulate a serial port via Bluetooth, which allows you to send data back and fourth wirelessly.

PS3 controllers
All the official controllers are supported both via USB and Bluetooth.

PS4 controllers
The PS4 controller is supported via both USB and Bluetooth as well.

Xbox controllers
Both the wireless and wired controllers are supported. You will need a special wireless receiver to use the wireless controller.

Wiimotes
The Wiimote is supported including the build IR camera. The Motion Plus and Nunchuck extensions are also supported. The Wii U Pro Controller is supported as well.

Bluetooth HID devices
Standard Bluetooth HID devices, like mice and keyboards are also supported by the library.

The USB Host Shield support several other devices including:

The source code can be found at Github:

More information can be found at Circuits@Home.

USB Host Shield

Categories: Arduino, Bluetooth, TKJ Electronics, USB Tags:
  1. Kareem
    February 10th, 2013 at 21:52 | #1

Dear Lauszus,

I’ve sent you an email regarding interfacing USB Modem with Arduino through USB Host Shield.

Kindly see it and let me know, hope you help me in this case :(

Best Regards,

Kareem

2. February 10th, 2013 at 22:53 | #2

@Kareem
    I just replied to your email.

3. Kareem
    February 12th, 2013 at 11:25 | #3

@Lauszus
    Thanks for your cooperation.

4. February 13th, 2013 at 02:16 | #4

@Kareem
    You’re welcome :)

5. nero
    July 1st, 2013 at 13:53 | #5

Hello , I would like to thank you for the library .
    I’m using it to control a motor of a rc Car using the ps3 controller by Bluetooth and arduino .
    Im now in the programming process and I want to use switches or else the programe will be too long
    so what should I edit to me code so that the the switch happens when I press a button

switch (when button pressed) {
    case ‘PS3.getButtonPress(CROSS)’:
    digitalWrite(BLP, HIGH);
    break;
    case ‘PS3.getButtonPress(SQUARE)’:
    digitalWrite(BLP, LOW);
    break;

}

6. July 1st, 2013 at 14:05 | #6

@nero
    I’m glad that you like my library. Have you got a video of it? I would love to see it :)

You could simply do it like so:

if (PS3.getButtonClick(CROSS))
        digitalWrite(BLP, HIGH);
    else if (PS3.getButtonClick(SQUARE))
        digitalWrite(BLP, LOW);

You can find more information about the library and all it functions etc. here: http://felis.github.io/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/class_p_s3_b_t.html.

7. nero
    July 1st, 2013 at 16:22 | #7

thanks for the quick response : ) I really appreciate it :) and sorry for posting on more than one page :(

I already wrote it this way , but I have many controls so I’ll be using around 10 buttons :) thats why I’m thinking about the switch method
    so is there an alternative way of saying “switch when a button is pressed and based on which button is pressed the motors will move ?

8. July 1st, 2013 at 16:36 | #8

@nero
    No problem :)

You can’t do it that way, as you have to read the individual bits in the incoming data. That’s why I have made those functions. Take a look at the source code on how they work: https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/blob/master/PS3BT.cpp#L52-L61.

This means that you can’t use a switch method. Simply just use a bunch of if and else if as it is shown in the example.

If you just want to switch a light, when any button has been pressed, then simply make this public: https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/blob/master/PS3BT.h#L236 and then use it like so:

if (ButtonState)
    // Any button has been pressed
  9. nero
    July 2nd, 2013 at 15:40 | #9

Ok got the point :) . once I finish Ill post a video of what I did . Im currently having a problem with the outputs from arduino uno so Im trying to use the ps3bt with the arduino adk but its not working
    the serial port gives me the following

OSC did not start

10. July 2nd, 2013 at 15:59 | #10

@nero
    You need to uncomment the following line: https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/blob/master/avrpins.h#L25 for it to work.

11. Hong
    November 12th, 2013 at 09:48 | #11

Now I’m trying to connect Arduino board to a sensor board that was already made using USB Host Shield and libraries.
    But unfortunately, you’re library doesn’t support CP210x usb to serial converters.

Do you have any plan to support CP201x? or Is there any solution to connect CP210x by modifing existing source code?

12. November 13th, 2013 at 17:19 | #12

@Hong
    Yes we are planning on that. Hopefully it will be ready before new year :)

13. ali
    November 28th, 2013 at 10:20 | #13

i am doing my final year project on robotic arm interfacing with the mouse on the platform of ardiuno,i have usbhost shield even from sparkfun,but how to connect ardiuno with the usb host shield i am not getting.

14. Chris
    December 30th, 2013 at 04:13 | #15

I just have an inquiry. Right now I have the Arduino UNO, and the USB Host shield from Circuits@Home. When I run and compile the code I get the message on my Serial Monitor saying that “OSC did not start”. I’m not sure if my BT dongles should have a light, but if it should Its not coming on.

15. December 30th, 2013 at 16:32 | #16

@Chris
    Hmm strange. Is it an official Arduino Uno? Also have you soldered the ICSP properly? You can find instructions here: http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/usb-host-shield-illustrated-assembly-guide.

Btw that error means that there is no communication with the MAX3421E chip on the shield.

16. Juergen
    February 10th, 2014 at 00:20 | #17

@Lauszus
    Hello, have you any clue when the library for the CP210x is ready? In a power supply, part of my present project, a CP2102 is installed. If the library takes even longer, I must attempt to disassemble the power supply and replace the chip by another.

17. February 18th, 2014 at 00:00 | #18

@Juergen
    This is unfortunately not something that is planned at the moment.

18. Chris
    March 11th, 2014 at 02:02 | #19

@Lauszus
    everything is soldered on correctly as far as I know, I bought new dongles and I’m still getting the same message. I’m about to send an e-mail with pictures of the set up if thats ok.

19. March 11th, 2014 at 17:20 | #20

@Chris
    You need to solder the ICSP header as well! The SPI pins are located on that header!

20. April 13th, 2014 at 16:46 | #21

Hello Lauszus,
    For an arduino project I would like to connect a wireless ps3 controller to an arduino and so I am thinking to buy your usb-host shield. But I have one question: Why do I actually need the intermediate step of a usb-host shield? Is it not possible to directly connect a bluetooth receiver HC05 to the arduino like: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-AND-Bluetooth-HC-05-Connecting-easily/ ?

Although I think it should be possible to connect a ps3 controller to the HC05 I cannot find any documentation on it (especially pairing the two together). In this way I wouldn’t need the intermediate step of transferring bluetooth data to USB data and the size of my project could be a bit smaller.

Already thanks, kind regards!

21. April 13th, 2014 at 16:51 | #22

@Evert
    No unfortunately that is not possible as the HC05 module doesn’t support Bluetooth HID. Furthermore paring with the PS3 controller is done via USB, so there is no way to pair with it using the HC05 module.

1. February 20th, 2013 at 15:21 | #1