Home > Arduino, Bluetooth, TKJ Electronics, USB > USB Host Shield is now available in the webshop

USB Host Shield is now available in the webshop

This is a short announcement regarding the USB Host Shield from Circuits@Home, which we are now carrying in in our store.
By buying the official shield you will support the continous development of the library and get support from us!
The shield can be found and bought here: USB Host Shield 2.0 for Arduino.

The shield can be used with almost any kind of Arduino including the most popular Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino Leonardo etc. If you are in doubt if your Arduino is supported please don’t hesitate to write a comment below.

The USB Host Shield will allow you to use any of the Bluetooth and USB libraries I wrote.

In case you missed it I have written several libraries for the shield including:

The Serial Port Protocol (SPP)
Emulate a serial port via Bluetooth, which allows you to send data back and fourth wirelessly.

PS3 controllers
All the official controllers are supported both via USB and Bluetooth.

PS4 controllers
The PS4 controller is supported via both USB and Bluetooth as well.

Xbox controllers
Both the wireless and wired controllers are supported. You will need a special wireless receiver to use the wireless controller.

Wiimotes
The Wiimote is supported including the build IR camera. The Motion Plus and Nunchuck extensions are also supported. The Wii U Pro Controller is supported as well.

Bluetooth HID devices
Standard Bluetooth HID devices, like mice and keyboards are also supported by the library.

The USB Host Shield support several other devices including:

The source code can be found at Github:

More information can be found at Circuits@Home.

USB Host Shield

Categories: Arduino, Bluetooth, TKJ Electronics, USB Tags:
  1. October 15th, 2014 at 03:34 | #1

@Ian
    Bluetooth 4.0 dongles with work just fine as well, as they are backwards compatible.

2. Ian
    October 15th, 2014 at 20:40 | #2

@Lauszus

UPDATE

I purchased a BT 4.0 dongle from amazon and it seems to be working well! I now have full control of L2 and R2 and the start/accelerometer function is working perfectly.

heres the link for the dongle:

However, I still have the problem in the serial out where rightHatX/y and leftHatX/y output all zeros randomly when I’m using the directional pad. It will also output a few lines of zeros when I’m not using the controller. I timed the intervals on a stopwatch a few times to find a pattern and it is completely random. I’ll enable debugging and see if that helps.

cheers

3. October 16th, 2014 at 04:40 | #3

@Ian
    Thank you. I just added it to the list on the wiki :)

It sounds more like it is an issue with the PS3 controller? Have you tried another one?

4. Ian
    October 20th, 2014 at 18:42 | #4

@Lauszus

As I recall, it was having the same problem with the other controller I have. I will confirm this. Here’s a link to the controller controlling a DC motor:

thanks!

5. October 21st, 2014 at 07:19 | #5

@Ian
    I have never had this issue or heard from somebody else. If this was the case then this would mean that the Balanduino would suddenly start traveling forward!

An easy fix would be just to ignore the 0 value and if you encounter that just use the last receiver one?

6. Ian
    November 8th, 2014 at 22:46 | #6

Here’s a link to the soccer ball kicking robot moving around:

Thanks again! Still haven’t figured out the random zeros problem…

7. November 9th, 2014 at 01:50 | #7

@Ian
    Looks good :) Hopefully you will solve those random zeros soon.

8. Ian
    November 15th, 2014 at 21:23 | #8

@Lauszus

Lauszus,

I am unclear as to whether we can use pins 8-13 on the arduino with the USB host shield connected. We are using pins 2-7 for our motor controls and we need to run a servo now. Anytime I connect it to pins 8-13 there are problems with the bluetooth. and it doesn’t seem like its even possible to run a servo from pins 0 or 1. Using arduino uno

9. November 17th, 2014 at 09:14 | #9

@Ian
    You can’t use pin 13-11 as these are used for SCK, MOSI and MISO and can not be rerouted. Pin 10 and pin 9 are used for SS and INT respectively and can be rerouted to any pin including the analog post -- see: https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0#interface-modifications.

The shield does not use pin 0 or 1, so that can’t be causing the issue with your servo, but make sure that they are not drawing too much current, as the Bluetooth dongle needs a stable 5V supply.

1 2 3820